Sunday, July 12, 2009

Guilt trip to the pity party

I'm feeling awful that I can't be with Debbie today. Jackson is sick so he is sequestered on the couch with medicine, chicken soup, liquids and the remote control.
DeAnn is with her now. Ray never came back last night. His son said Ray fell asleep on the way home (he sounded out of it to me earlier...probably from the xanax) and his son was too sleepy to bring him back and Ray's parents couldn't. We'll see if he shows up today. Debbie's son, Dustin is also supposed to come visit.

Sonny stayed with her last night and DeAnn told me he was an absolute angel. He puts on a tough act, but he's such a big hearted guy. Debbie's getting weaker and she liked having Sonny there because when she needed to get back in bed he could lift her and put her in rather than the laborious and sometimes painful moving and tugging we girls have to do. I can so clearly see the image in my mind of my brother holding her.

Sonny has had to sort of distance himself from all of this thus far, for some very good reasons. But when you need that guy, he is there. We all decided we cannot count on Ray. Sonny is planning on either staying with Debbie and leaving from work from there every morning or finding someone who can stay with her. DeAnn and I will be going by every day after work and staying as late as we can. Tina is already making plans to come back here as soon as possible.

I stop by the chapel every time I enter and leave the hospice. I used to give thanks for another day with Debbie and to selfishly ask for one more day. Now I just ask that she be pain free.
All prayers appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment